Thursday, August 16, 2007

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 Miracles and Persuasion

Paul acknowledged that his sermons were weak. I wonder how we would react to hearing Romans preached to us in a two hour monologue. He had people falling out of windows because his sermons put them to sleep. But for all its weakness, the power (dynamite) of God's Spirit accompanied Paul's weak preaching to produce demonstrations of God's saving power. In 1 Corinthians 2:1-5 we read

When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. c 2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.
c Some manuscripts as I proclaimed to you God's mystery
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (1 Co 2:1). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.

In what ways have you experienced God's power that persuaded you to place your faith in him? Your feed forward is appreciated.

No comments: